Author Topic: Low-Poly Lollypops for my High-Poly Friends  (Read 14029 times)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Low-Poly Lollypops for my High-Poly Friends
« on: February 17, 2016, 10:28:32 pm »
Hi guys,

My recovery progresses considerably slower than expected, so I had to take a few decisions on what to focus on primarily during those 30 to 40 minutes that I'm allowed to spend every day standing in front of my computer. I decided to curtail my FFP activities completely until I'm in a better shape but I'm still interested in advanced GLSL, reading up and experimenting.

Here are some snapshots of what I was able to reproduce so far using the classic specular lighting model and a reasonable (hehe) number of polygons. I'm currently reading up on a more modern metal/dielectric 3D material re-creation toolchain that allows for a yet better, more natural, photorealistic, physically based appearance of 3D objects in the OpenGL scene.

(Patrice, congrats on this site's excellent 3D content! Please keep it up and sorry for my lagging behind. I'm hoping to be back full time soon but, as they say, if you want to make God laugh in your face then just tell him about your plans. :) )
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Re: Low-Poly Lollypops for my High-Poly Friends
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:25:23 pm »
Hello Mike

I am so glad to have some news from you.

All my best wishes for your recovery, and i am looking forward to see you back here.

Added:
Forget to tell you that all the 3D models from the collection have been reworked before posting them here.
Thus you should update yours, and also give a try to the new ones.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:12:17 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:42:50 pm »
Hi Patrice,

Thanks for the models; will update mine as soon as I get a little better.

Your TIE fighter cockpit is absolutely awesome! (that's what my elder son Serge said; he's into gamedev for a dozen years already :) )
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:42:51 pm »
It is difficult to successfully convert textured models of such size to the OBJ format if they aren't already converted by someone else. :)

(P.S. Objector cannot read in this model due to a memory crash. ;) )
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:45:13 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:57:00 pm »
Mike

Here is my own version of "Event horizon"  8)

Vertices 5602334
Triangles 4521228
Meshes 76
Materials 76
Indices 13563684

Patrice

John Spikowski

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 06:09:51 am »
My recovery progresses considerably slower than expected,

I'm just happy you're able to post anything and tell us you're okay. I have been worried about you when I didn't get a response to my e-mail.

Have you stopped smoking?

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 07:39:46 am »
Have you stopped smoking?

No sir, you won't live to see it happen. :D

Though I was laid up with an unexpected spell of pneumonia and was taken to hospital by 911. And the merciless bastards wouldn't let me outta there until March 5th, which was exactly two days past my 60th jubilee party due on March 3rd, much to the disappointment of my friends and family who were expecting a decent drinking bout on that occasion but never quite got it due to my untimely illness. :)
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 08:06:19 am »
Here is my own version of "Event horizon"  8)

That's a great model, Patrice! As for the number of meshes, I am now preferring to have as many distinct meshes in a model as possible even if they are of the same material. The matter is, I'm using the meshes' existing bounding spheres for simple and fast runtime mesh-sphere-in-view-frustum detection. While at extreme closeups (e.g. "inside" the Sponza Attrium), it helps my Objector to avoid processing in my render procs such meshes that can't be potentially seen at a given camera angle and direction.

Prometheus is an awesome model too. It's a pity the author doesn't provide the LWO animation data for his "Prometheus landing test" that's an absolutely hypnotic experience taking place right before your eyes on you monitor screen. :)

Prometheus Landing Test Video
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 11:29:10 am »
Mike

I have converted the Prometheus landing version too. But i didn't put as much work as in the flying's one.
Tell me if you want it.

About having a distinct number of meshes, even when they use the same material, i shall keep this in mind for my next conversions.

Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 01:02:16 pm »
If you have a landing version of Prometheus, then it would be great to have it published here too.

However, I see that the material content of this (these) model(s) is somewhat different from the author's original LWO creation rendered by me in its native LightWave Layout editor environment below.

As for the meshes/bounding spheres check, Objector has it written in assembly for speed reasons but its C equivalent is pretty speedy too and it might be easily incorporated in ObjReader if you so wish.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 07:07:45 pm »
Mike

I do not have LightWave, thus i did from my best with what i have at my disposal, starting from the FBX version.

As for the meshes/bounding spheres check, Objector has it written in assembly for speed reasons but its C equivalent is pretty speedy too and it might be easily incorporated in ObjReader if you so wish.
Yes, i would be glad to have it also in ObjReader, but could you explain me more what you mean about "meshes/bounding spheres", as far as i understand it, this is more suitable for animation purpose, am i right?

I have attached to this post, the untextured version of the Prometheus landing version that i have converted to OBJ, altogether with the specific walpaper i am using with it.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:17:32 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 10:15:39 pm »
Thanks for the both assets, Patrice.

The bounding spheres stored in the mesh structures can be effectively used for both physical collision detection of meshes in the scene and visibility tests to optimize (in fact, avoid) real-time computation of meshes that can't be seen at the camera's given position/orientation in each render frame.

I'll start a separate thread on that topic tomorrow, but now I need to have a little rest. :)
Mike