Author Topic: CLAMP Or REPEAT?  (Read 12374 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Re: CLAMP Or REPEAT?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 10:03:56 pm »
At first i am looking for simple mesh rotation, just like for an airplain propeller effect (or car wheel), using a transparent circular mesh.

So far, we shall delay the demo scene, to version 5 ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:09:07 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 10:19:09 pm »
And then, this way you're gonna have an endless chain of later incompatibilities in both ObjReader and model versions you will have to rework on and on... Just because you're sooooo impatient!

Have I ever shown you this one? That's my very old, simple and naive clean room re-implementation of Quake III Arena render engine written entirely in obscure FBSL BASIC but using the original "shaders", BSP, PVS, and texture resources.

Hope it will work for you under your Win 10. Use your mouse to point in the direction of desired movement, and the arrow keys, to actually "fly". It's also responsive to classic WASD but that layout will be unusable on your French AZERTY keyboard.

Almost all the effects you'll see there are based on timed tex matrix manipulation. The "skull" also "flies" idle and "flaps" its "ears" but those are mesh geo deformation effects. 8)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:25:42 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 10:56:33 pm »
Have I ever shown you this one?
No, i never see it before, and the demo worked fine by me on W10.

My first goal is to have something that could be easily used with the existing {static} HP models.

a.k.a: true shadow, and light rotation are high on my list.
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:03:41 pm »
"True shadow" is very unfriendly with high-poly models. You will have to add to the model a very low-poly decimated invisible LOD mesh replicating the model's overall approximate shape, that will be used only to "cast" shadows on other surfaces (e.g. scene floor or walls or ceiling or other meshes) when an extra render pass into the scene stencil buffer is to be made.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 11:28:36 pm »
I was thinking more of a deformation of my existing {fake} shadow to follow the light orientation.
This is what i had in mind, when speaking of {true shadow}, sorry for misleading you  :-[
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 07:52:31 am »
Hmm... That's an interesting idea... Got to think it over!  ???
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 10:41:35 am »
Mike

I have been playing with a new material meta #light2side (glLightModeli)
that would save me much time, rather than having to do complex mesh editing with some of my imported models.
So far i have checked it only with FFP, but that would work the same for PPL.

Your thought?
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 05:27:36 pm »
Patrice,

I understand and acknowledge your pain, blood, sweat, and tears. But please don't fall into that trap of cheap double-sided lighting. Otherwise we are going to end up with yet more of those good-for-nothing half-baked models that are so abundant on the net.

Most of the models you rework were designed with only one goal in mind: be rendered just once or twice for a few bucks and not in an OpenGL viewer but rather in a turtle-slow physically based ray tracer that has no notion of polygon surface normals and other fast mathematical approximations. It is based on real world laws of light emission, radiance, scattering, etc. where z-buffer fighting, unlit backfacing geometry and other OpenGL/Direct3D simplification artifacts just don't exist.

1. Automatic two-sided lighting is extremely strenuous for OpenGL. Look at the pictures below; they were taken on a box with just one of my older nVidia GTX 550Ti w/ 1GB of VRAM installed. While such a video card is still quite competitive, rendering the Event Horizon model lit from both sides is practically unbearable for it even in the FFP mode.

2. GL_LIGHT_MODEL_TWO_SIDE == GL_TRUE isn't supported in PPL. The shader must explicitly implement additional light sources that would light the model from the opposite side(s).

In other words, I'm afraid your "pangs of creativity" would be a lesser sacrifice to the project than the programmatic PITA and model quality losses we are going to face if we follow your suggestion, however understandable your motivation might be.  :-\
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 10:10:17 pm »
Ok, i have reworked the mesh anyway  ::)
Patrice