Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 5215 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Prometheus
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:26:36 pm »
The Prometheus pod version is landing by me ...  8)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:28:13 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: Prometheus
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:00:23 pm »
This is a really, really awesome model, Patrice.  :)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:16:48 pm »
I have added a drop shadow to it, just like for the Talbot HR.
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:25:59 am »
Patrice, your model is beautiful! :)

And, hehe, it is in fact the first one of your models that doesn't fit into the 32-bit memory of my two SLI-bridged GTX 650Ti geForces when I'm trying to load it in my 32-bit Objector. Objector has its side light sources adjustable in brightness and coloration, so I just wanted to add a little golden tint to the silver hull of the ship which I thought would be appropriate for an object under the sun in the desert.

Your 64-bit ObjReader loads it finely though. :)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:05:11 am »
Mike

I did a few more changes in ObjReader64 to make sure we match the GL_PACK_ALIGNMENT requirement when printing or saving png to file or it would fail if the client size doesn't use an exact boundary alignment.

We could also add a set of new meta commands to the .mtl file to complete #AMBIENT and adjust the light source orientation, could be
#LIGHT_TOP
#LIGHT_TOP_LEFT
#LIGHT_TOP_RIGHT
#LIGHT_LEFT
#LIGHT_RIGHT
#LIGHT_BOTTOM_LEFT
#LIGHT_BOTTOM_RIGHT
#LIGHT_BOTTOM

and perhaps the ARGB light color to use like this
#LIGHT_COLOR 0xFFFF0000

Is that something you would take care of, as you already did it in Objector?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:26:03 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 06:44:27 pm »
Hi Patrice,

Frankly, I haven't had a look into either the Objector or ObjReader sources for about a year. But I remember that my experiments with adjustable lighting were only rudimentary.

1. Since we had an option to alter the background picture in real time using the common Open File dialog, I thought it reasonable to add a similar common Color dialog to adjust the tint of the left-side, frontal, and right-side color sources in response to the user's hotkey combinations.

2. As the best tint is largely dependent on the background picture and its lighting ambiance information, it seems to be rather subjective. So, I didn't think at that time that hardcoding the light color/position information in the material file with the help of metacommands would be a reasonable option, at least until we experimented a lot with the interactive lighting to collect sufficient experience in best light source numbers, positions, color ranges, and intensities.

3. While color adjustment through the common Color dialog was rather intuitive and simple to store in the light color arrays to be used at render time, it was not so with light source position adjustment. In order to control smoothly the position and direction of each of the (current) three light sources in the scene, I had to introduce some sort of a new maintenance render mode where each light source would be represented with a small additional flashlight-like model responsive to drag-and-drop across the scene and also to rotation around its center of mass, to control the light direction. It seemed quite a major task in itself, so I postponed it till better times and then finally suspended the entire project.

Yet the minimum light source color control I'm having is IMHO one of Objector's major improvements over ObjReader at this point in time. :)
Mike