Author Topic: Helios(2) revisited  (Read 4985 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Helios(2) revisited
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:27:29 pm »
I have reworked all the meshes for compatibility with OR version #2.52, and the latest mtxRotate function.

I hope to have fixed everything.   ::)
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: Helios(2) revisited
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:48:36 pm »
What do you think was causing improper rotating mesh behavior in the preceding version of the model?

I think the blue jets could be made glowing in the dark. Currently, there isn't a single spot in the entire model that would glow when the scene lighting is dimmed.

Otherwise, the model looks flawless. :)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:04:24 pm »
There was a material missing, and i was forced to use a Y offset of 5.663 for all static meshes, to have a perfect rotation with the rotating group.
And i changed the loading order of the meshes, all these changes seem to have cured the problem.

Stay tune, i shall post soon another model with rotating meshes for test purpose…
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:25 pm »
There was a material missing ...

This shouldn't affect anything because in this case, ObjReader would simply use its default material to depict the mesh.

... i was forced to use a Y offset of 5.663 for all static meshes ...

Yes, you have to ensure your model is perfect if you want to rotate some of its meshes synchronously.

And i changed the loading order of the meshes ...

... which makes me think there are still some parameters somewhere that don't get re-initialized from material to material when reading the MAT file. I'm wondering if the existing "material cache" is compatible with the new functionalities we're adding to our meshes...
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
Yes, you have to ensure your model is perfect if you want to rotate some of its meshes synchronously.
i didn't change anything into the rotating group, but i had to change slightly the Y offset of the other meshes to make sure that they match exactly the center of the Y rotation axis.

The missing material was causing the rotation of the matching mesh, that was indeed a static one that shouldn't rotate.

To check everything, i started from the rotation group alone, then adding one by one all other meshes, to detect what could be the problem, boring job to say the least…  :(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:39:09 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 11:04:17 pm »
The missing material was causing the rotation of the matching mesh, that was indeed a static one that shouldn't rotate. ... boring job to say the least…  :(

Thanks for walking that extra mile, Patrice! Your description will probably help isolate the bug. :)
Mike