Author Topic: More WIP on R3PU  (Read 26687 times)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: More WIP on R3PU
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 12:30:50 pm »
You know what Patrice,

Objector currently uses a slightly different uber-shader to render to texture for subsequent vignette post-processing. It seems to treat the normal maps a little differently and it has no brightness clamping, therefore its final renders may be overbright if needed.

As a result, Objector's bumps seem to be more correct than those in ObjReader... ???

Here's how the bumps look generally in Objector (top) and ObjReader (bottom) in the upper picture. Your comments are welcome.

[UPD] As per the lower picture, it looks like Objector can render microscopic bumps also somewhat better than ObjReader:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:05:52 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 12:46:56 pm »
Re: the brain

What about adding a few little varicoloured emissive LEDs to the brain mesh? 8)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 02:06:50 pm »
Mike

Obviously , Objector's bumps look more correct than the one used in ObjReader.
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 02:39:14 pm »
As i said objector's bump looks better.

I will need some time to investigate if better bumps are a side effect of post-processing or superior math in Objector's fragment shader. I will report back on this issue in a couple of days.

See the attached video(s), using animation.

Wow!!! 8)

What about the "human" brain you teased me with earlier?

-- Can this ball-shaped artificial brain be made larger to fill in the empty space in the skull? Can a few multi-colored light-emitting diodes (LEDs) be added to the golden "lock" plates and rotate together with the whole thing?

-- Why isn't the lower jaw yellow any more?

Press Ctrl F5 and look at the second animation video ;)

No, I like the ball brain better than the diamond one, just please make it somewhat bigger and add the LED's if you can...
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 02:40:49 pm »
P.S. Please let me have the model for checking before you update the official release!
Here is the link to the cleaned up version (i changed the name of the textures, and removed the images not used).

http://www.objreader.com/download/demo/r3pu.7z
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 02:45:02 pm »
the human brain is static (no animation)...
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2018, 03:03:36 pm »
Here is the link to the cleaned up version ...

Patrice,

Please export the existing lower jaw mesh with its normal and text coord data from your C4D as a separate OBJ model and send it to me.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2018, 03:19:29 pm »
The lower jaw and the bone skull i am using in my personnal version are not the same than those used in the official version (mine are based on the FBX HP version, and a different set of UVW mapped textures)

Here is a video to show you the static brain with burning fire emission...
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 03:59:25 pm »
1. Your latest cleaned up version has a few deficiencies. Please don't upload it as an official version yet.

2. Your hi-res "human brain" model looks better than the "ball brain" model to me. Can you consider adding a few semi-transparent tubes rising from the brain metal "pedestal" right into the brain as if feeding it with the vital liquids? If the tubes are segments of a torus and the brain itself isn't transparent, then you can also add a round mesh of small emissive particles (a "synaps" of sorts) that could rotate inside its respective static tube concentrically with it thus emulating electric pulses flowing up from the "pedestal" and into the brain...  ::)  8)
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2018, 04:30:58 pm »
1. Your latest cleaned up version has a few deficiencies. Please don't upload it as an official version yet.
Yes, i found a few of them (i have too many versions with different materials) :-[
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2018, 05:27:31 pm »
Is that what you have in mind?

Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 06:36:05 pm »
1. Exactly!!! Yet balls should not be big balls but sort of smaller spikes or sparkles of various shapes, sizes and emissive colors coming at irregular intervals... And the number of "tubes" should be bigger and they should be of different thicknesses.  8)

2. I didn't like the existing low-poly jaw at all. So I reworked the textures and material again. Now the jaw looks as if it is made of yellowish die-cast metal powder, and its texture seams are almost invisible. See the attached picture and let me know if you agree, and if yes then I'll send you my fixes in a couple hours. (need to go out to buy some cigarettes)

3. You took the wrong normal map for the zipper. The one you're trying to use is rubbish while my (underscored) version was correct.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 07:50:20 pm »
For the jaw and the skull, i am using the one attached to this post.
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 08:38:05 pm »
Both jaws are OK, geometry- and normals-wise, but the old bump and specular maps are bad. I include my new bump and spec maps for the low-poly jaw in the zip, and I also add a correct bump map for the suit zipper. Please use them with the following material that I fixed to match the new maps:

newmtl skull_jaw
Ka 0.25 0.25 0.25
Kd 0.64 0.64 0.64
Ks 0.5 0.5 0.5
map_Kd skull_jaw.png
map_Ks skull_jaw_ks.png
map_bump skull_jaw_bump.png
Ns 96.078
illum 2
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 10:02:16 pm »
I'd be glad to have it, Patrice!

The result isn't so bad. The tubes must be seen through the face plate, and the balls should fly up like bubbles. And the tubes should then be emissively colored to simulate fluorescent fluid flow inside them...  ::)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:06:58 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike