Author Topic: RamJet  (Read 3318 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
RamJet
« on: August 10, 2018, 05:13:21 pm »
Here is the reworked (Accutrans) RamJet version that does work with the new bump function.
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: RamJet
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 06:08:21 pm »
OK Patrice,

Thank you very much for the information and an extra effort to rework the Ramjet model once again.

But no, I still think that the both models are deficient initially in their vertex or normal data. Was Millenium Falcon also supplied as an OBJ file? If yes then where can I download it, please?

Your rework still bears a small rudiment of (bi)tangent glitch that you're probably simply not noticing -- but it is there! (see the snapshots below) It means the bug (either in the model or our code) has not yet been isolated or fixed and still needs further investigation. I'll be keeping an eye on it but I want to continue my work on the 4th directional light, glow maps, and shader in general. When trying to load the original Ramjet DL'ed from the site, I also noticed ObjReader does not display its transparent cockpit glass correctly while Objector does, though they now have absolutely identical PPL renderers.

Generally, I think I will be able to suggest a better Ramjet OBJ model at some future point in time with more material meshes than it currently has. The original file still has the "g"(roup) markers that used to denote the formerly distinct meshes in the now global one and only "Hull" material mesh. Redefined as distinct materials rather than groups, they could be conditioned as separate layers in AkkuTrans, and better re-normalized in 3ds Max when re-triangulating the mesh geometry to optimize it for smaller file size. But this I can do only in my spare time when the 4th light and map_Ke are added, and the ObjReader renderer is fixed to display the cockpit transparency as flawlessly as it is displayed at all times in Objector.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:18:04 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 06:54:33 pm »
I couldn't see this glitch by me in PPL mode using the new bump version  :-\

Perhaps 64-bit nVIDIA drivers, rather than objector's 32-bit ?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:21:21 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:30:15 pm »
This time you're probably correct, Patrice. The ObjReader and Objector pipelines and (bi)tangent calc are absolutely identical, yet x86 Objector glitches while x64 ObjReader doesn't.

Still ObjReader fails the small Millennium Falcon test unless the model is re-triangulated in 3ds Max. (see picture below)

Either way let's leave the code as it is now. I consider the glitch to be due to bad normals, hence also (bi)tangents, in the original author's initial OBJ files before they are thoroughly reworked. And I am not planning to return to this issue again unless it reveals itself in some future model(s).

Just for the hell of it, I recompiled ObjReader once again with yet tighter epsilons used with the fast approximate functions in its (bi)tangent calc. (see attachment #2) Let us use this binary's code as a reference until we merge our code mods.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:10:45 pm »
Ok, i have updated to the new reference.  8)

Note: The previous Millenium screenshot must be taken from the original, not from the one posted into the 3D model collection.
Remember, i am reworking all the models without exception to fix normal errors, or misalignments, same with textures, for example look at the text written on both side of the original Ramjet, and look at the same text on mine ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:11:08 am by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice