Author Topic: Nefertiti (revisited)  (Read 4397 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Nefertiti (revisited)
« on: August 28, 2018, 06:44:43 pm »
For a long time i wanted to be able to use a texture with that scanned model…

Here it is.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:25:41 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: Nefertiti (revisited)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:34:09 pm »
This is very spectacular, Patrice! :)

Yet there are some smoothing artifacts that I think can still be worked on. AkkuTrans has a Prefs -> Options... -> Calculating Smoothing Normals feature that sets what maximum plane angles the editor regards as fixed creases that will not be smoothed out when recalculating the model's normals via Tools 2 -> Calculate Hard/Soft Smoothing Normals. You may want to experiment with soft smoothing at 45 or 60 degrees or even larger angles to get rid of those.

There are also some untextured tris here and there. The model geo is simple enough so I think those can be corrected as well.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 08:57:56 am »
I think i did the best i could with this texture based on real photography of the original bust. I have already reworked the top of the hat, that was full of artefacts due to the lack of top photography.
From my own test Accutrans provided worst results, but i am not an expert of it, thus if you can make it any better then i would be glad to use it for the final version.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:39:59 am by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:51:21 pm »
I must fix the perspective misalignment of the wallpaper background to match the one used by the 3D object  :-\
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »
Oh, now I see...

Looking first at your screenshots, I assumed the offending floor perspective wasn't the wallpaper's own drawing seen through the cube but rather the wallpaper reflection in the cube planes. If that were the case, there would've been no solution to the problem because, as I said, there's no way to modify the reflection coords auto-generated by the OpenGL driver.

But now you've got me to realize the perspective has been broken by the grid on the scene "floor" that didn't match the angle of "floor" grid inclination in the wallpaper proper. The new scene "floor" looks somewhat duller but it's the only sensible solution that can come to mind under the circumstances.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 09:38:13 am »
Patrice,

Zipped below is the model smoothed in AkkuTrans at some 130o crease angle. It helped me to get rid of most ugly creases in and around Nefertiti's eyes, nose and broken ears, and between her lips. Smoothing has been done only on the bust and top meshes, so the other scenery wasn't affected.

Yet frankly, I am reluctant to experiment on Nefertiti's geo any further (e.g. restore the missing and untextured tris) because I don't like scanned models as a genre. They are almost always too crude, amateurish and full of careless artifacts which are usually oh so many.

Also, you may call me color blind but some slight changes to the .MTL file's lighting and bust material coupled with the specular map included in the zip have made the Nefertiti model look on my monitors almost exactly like she looks in the renders that form up the diffuse "map", if only a tad less bright.

IMO this specular map (especially when the model is loaded with un-mipmapped textures) also enhances substantially the look of the model's micro bumpiness including the micro texture of Nefertiti's skin that the sculptor was able to reproduce so craftily almost 3,500 years ago!

Note well that the diffuse "map" has been definitely made up of two different yet unprocessed sets of photo renders with two different sets of colored lights, which explains the ugly jaggies on the border seams between various portions of the head.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:23:59 pm »
Mike

Thank you, i have posted the official version into the "character" section.

Note: I don't like either scanned models, they are almost impossible to split into individual meshes, except with endless hours of work.

However in the case of Nefertiti i have always been fascinated by the perfection of this intemporal piece of work from Thutmose (or who ever made it), she could be as well a lady from the 3rd millenium.  :-*
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:47:01 pm »
Mike

I came across that new one  :o
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »
Re: Nefertiti final

OK so I see you preferred to stick to a much cruder version probably smoothed at a 60o crease angle...
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 04:19:16 pm »
Re: Nefertiti FBX

The texture scans are almost superb but no, this isn't Thutmose's original creation. This low-poly thingy has obviously been sculpted in a 3D editor in the 3rd millennium from scratch. ;)
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 07:54:46 pm »
Mike

Here is the original (from SketchFab), the one i started from, just in case you want to try it with 3ds max.
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 09:02:29 pm »
Here's the highest resolution Nefertiti head scan I could find on the net. Sadly no normals or UVs.

The scan was made secretly without the museum's permission. Read the included history and watch the pictures.
Mike