Author Topic: Early WIP on v2.55  (Read 138240 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Re: Early WIP on v2.55
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2018, 07:33:41 pm »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Looks like with this new version we will have to divide all the current existing material Ke parameters with a 0.30 factor, other way they are too much bright.

Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2018, 08:38:59 pm »
I'm glad you like it! :)

Looks like with this new version we will have to divide all the current existing material Ke parameters with a 0.30 factor, other way they are too much bright.

No Patrice, I don't think it's so bad. The emissive component is calc'ed very early in the pipeline and blended additively rather than multiplicatively with the ambient component. They both are then clamped to within [0,1] and AO-shadowed further along the pipeline.

Next, the emissive materials that aren't controlled with a special map_Ke texture (like our existing flares or car headlights) get through a default programmatic 50% grayscale texture map transparently, which further reduces the emissive component brightness two times. So, I'd estimate the new uncontrolled Ke at approx. 1.5 times brighter than it was before, despite the 6x multiplier used in the shader.

I think it's better to have an overhead that we can suppress, than to be short of emissive brightness that gets lost in the overbright components of a daylight scene. :)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2018, 10:03:21 pm »
Trying to use the original JetVette material, i couldn't get the correct emissive "newmtl light" to work correctly, all the orange parts are not shown anymore.

Try with the attached "ex_lights.zip" textures.

newmtl light
Ka 0.1 0.1 0.1
#Kd 0.31369999051094 0.06899999827147 0.06899999827147
Kd 0.75 0.75 0.75
Ks 1 1 1
Ke 0.3 0.3 0.3
map_Ka ex_lights_ao.png
map_Kd ex_lights_d.png
map_bump ex_lights_n.png
map_Ks ex_lights_s.png
map_Ke ex_lights_e.png
map_Ns ex_lights_g.png
Ns 225
illum 2
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:05:16 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2018, 10:42:07 pm »
Patrice,

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I ASKED IF YOU WEREN'T FIDDLING WITH TEXTURES INSTEAD OF SUPPLYING THE ORIGINAL FULL SET OF THEM! I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO GET US INTO TROUBLE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER! >:(

OK I'll see what I can do with emissive color and texture blending but that will be tomorrow morning. :)

(In fact I got pneumonia last time I went to Poland to visit my friend for a few days. The Polish border guard/CLO gargoyles, all of them of feminine gender, kept me at -12oC and strong NNW wind for nearly two hours at night at the EU border with my doors, hood and trunk open in the area where it was forbidden to turn on my car engine. They had spotted a 0.5l bottle of Camus and two packages of Belarusian cigarettes in my bag extra to what I was supposed to be having on me so as not to blow up the European economy. They gave it all back to me eventually without consequences but my health was ruined and now I hate Polish women, which is a bad thing to do because they are generally renowned as the most beautiful blonds in our part of the world. ;))

In the mean time, have you noticed that on spherical surfaces, our artificial "ambient reflection" UVs are near perfect mirror reflections of the corresponding texture maps? If not then see how your Tron is watching you from different angles when in the "ambient reflection" fancy mode. ;D

And catch yet another patch with usual transparencies added to the fancy shaders besides the X-ray mode. I like it more that way, and hopefully you will too. :)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2018, 11:39:20 pm »
THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I ASKED IF YOU WEREN'T FIDDLING WITH TEXTURES INSTEAD OF SUPPLYING THE ORIGINAL FULL SET OF THEM! I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO GET US INTO TROUBLE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER

Your remark is not fair, because i did the best of what i could do with that model.

Here is the full texture set, however you will have to download the fbx original, because i have reworked the texture to avoid the jagged artefacts visible in the original, as well as several other texture errors.
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2018, 12:06:33 am »
i did the best of what i could do with that model.

You job is absolutely wonderful as always. But I, on my behalf, also did my best with the test materials at hand, and I cannot be held responsible if some obscure emissive map that you held back and I hadn't ever seen before doesn't meet your expectations now.

To avoid this in the future, I'll be now testing my patch against other SketchFab models at my option, and when I'm through, you'll have to mod JetVette again to meet ObjReader's final emissive blending as I will have designed it based on my own exhaustive experimentation.

Does this temporary stall suit you, my friend?

This is something i have been using for long, see the ambient reflection of Marylin on the projector lens ;)

Your ambient reflection of Marylin is OpenGL's intrinsic immediate mode while Tron's ambient reflection was hand-coded in my shader through much trial and error to be working with normal maps, AO, specularity and a lot more. :P
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2018, 07:32:21 am »
I'm somewhat nonplussed, my friend.

From what I've been able to see on SketchFab so far, it seems like when an emissive material has an accompanying map_Ke, then there's no additive or other blending of its emissive areas with the diffuse or any other map in the same areas at all. The emissive map just overruns everything else, and its image must be detailed enough to substitute the lack of other images in these areas, if needed.

I do not then understand how it may go along in the same shader with the meshes that are emissive entirely, have no emissive maps and rely only on their emissive color component for mesh coloration. I need more time to search through SketchFab for reliable, even if simple, examples that would preferably contain emissive meshes of both kinds, map_Ke-textured and untextured, to learn the algo they're using.

In the mean time, enjoy yet another patch that allows for a FOV switchable between 20 and 45 degrees using the menu. 45o makes it much easier to explore the interiors of cars, rooms and buildings.

(It seems like I've begun to feel myself definitively better starting 5:00 this morning. I hope my productivity will improve accordingly from now on.)
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2018, 11:20:23 am »
My friend, i am converting some Sketchfab models for emissive test purpose.

This one looks promising unfortunatly it didn't come with a .mtl file  >:(
https://sketchfab.com/models/8ca5084b181340e0b19245094788fdff
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2018, 03:06:48 pm »
Here is the Sketchfab "Edison light bulb" .dae model converted to .obj with a custom material file using most of the provided textures.
The original can be found there
https://sketchfab.com/models/abab549e6aa846209e8411cd1e135739

As you will notice, the new "map_Ke" doesn't respect the texture color, i have to explicitly use Ke with a yellow setup to get the wanted color.

Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2018, 03:48:46 pm »
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2018, 07:02:37 pm »
Another one from here
https://sketchfab.com/models/7f65049c5020498b9ade8080a1f7d59c

And my reworked version  ???
(with my own texture set + normal alignment)
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2018, 01:08:38 am »
Thank you for those models, Patrice.

They are nice, however somewhat simplistic for what I'm trying to fix. Their meshes are almost fully emissive (and the lamp is without any emissive maps altogether) whereas the case you complained about was small emissive areas where the visual content of map_Ke conflicted with the map_Kd and was never shown in ObjReader. There are no such areas in the models you posted; the LED diffuse and emissive maps are so close in content that I can't tell which map I'm seeing in full light and dark.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2018, 04:40:09 am »
Ok, here is a working example baked from this one:
https://sketchfab.com/models/6b95bca828184242a7746a902a5e6a48

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:03:15 am by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2018, 07:05:53 am »
Here is a simplified JetVette model based on the original, using only emissive meshes.

You can see the Ke emissive problem, especially on the light and jet material.
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2018, 08:01:45 am »
The dragon is a killer! :D

It seems like I've done a damned good job on emissive maps anyway! 8) ;D

OK Patrice, thanks a lot for your help. I'll see what I can do today. :)
Mike