Author Topic: Early WIP on v2.55  (Read 132896 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Re: Early WIP on v2.55
« Reply #510 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:09 am »
My friend

I have completed the TruePNG help file to work in standard overlay window mode.

I worked also on the HUD version, but then it defeats the use of TruePNG to create small files, because i have to use blur shadow to enhance the text readability on all kind of wallpaper backgrounds.

However the creation of the topic pages is a rather long process, because i have to create first the RTF text in Wordpad, then take a screenshot to turn it into a variable opacity png file with my GDImage opacity.exe tool. Then import the result into PSD to add shadow and blur effect to finaly save a new png file that is suitable for the HUD display.

I have attached a video to show you the HUD version in action, but i am not sure of what to do, because of the complexity to create the final png materials, and this means also adding more code to OR to process the topic selection (not done yet).

Your thought?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:42:19 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #511 on: January 13, 2019, 01:26:07 pm »
Patrice,

Seriously I think the overall effect is stunning! 8)

And I think it is very well worth the extra effort (and code) put into it. I realize the final size of variable opacity PNGs is going to be much larger than that of the initial RTF-like 24-bit PNGs. But still, I think it is the best of what can be done to preserve the integrity of OR's interface.

And you can use the splitter to drag the topic list alone into view on the right side of the viewport...

I would never regret abandoning HH if I had this help system instead. :)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #512 on: January 13, 2019, 01:33:06 pm »
OK…

And you can use the splitter to drag the topic list alone into view on the right side of the viewport...
No, i have another idea...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:23:07 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #513 on: January 13, 2019, 06:41:54 pm »
Here are my Help png resources backup, for security purpose ... ::)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:43:43 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: January 13, 2019, 09:31:40 pm »
You can rely on me keeping them safe and sound. :)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #515 on: January 14, 2019, 10:12:50 pm »
Here is the patch/backup…

There are still a few things i have to work with, but the HUD display is working good, and we can still manipulate the model at the same time the help is shown.

The MouseWheel can be use either with the model when the cursor is in the center of the screen, or to scroll the topic when aside the borders (280 pixels on each side, see case WM_MOUSEWHEEL in Help.h).
You can rotate, drag, zoom the model, popup the contextual menu, and drag and drop .obj file onto the help display.

You can select a topic item with the mouse, and move the selection up or down with the corresponding arrow keys.
But then you have to remove this in the callback in order to keep the keyboard focus (the focus still needs some work).
    case WM_SETFOCUS:
        skRestoreCaption(hWnd, TRUE);
        //SetFocus(gP.hMain);
        nRet = 1;
        break;

Note: I have removed all the HH code from this version.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:31:48 am by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: January 15, 2019, 11:31:21 am »
Excellent, my friend! :)

I think we'll have to block the lighting panel popping up while the help overlay is on screen, or hide the help if F2 or lighting menu are selected while the help is visible because otherwise the lighting panel remains unusable anyway.

I don't think we absolutely need mouse wheel scrolling the help text. IMHO it is only logical that it zooms the model view rather than scrolls the text since it also pans and rotates the model.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #517 on: January 15, 2019, 12:13:27 pm »
A new patch is coming soon to fix a couple of things and capture the keyboard arrow keys from the DetectHotKeys.

I don't think we absolutely need mouse wheel scrolling the help text. IMHO it is only logical that it zooms the model view rather than scrolls the text since it also pans and rotates the model.
I think that being able to scroll the the help text with the mouse wheel is more handly and intuitive than using the scrollbar on the right, that is also the default processing in a GDImage control when the size of the bitmap background exceed the size of its container.
What i could do is to reduce the mouse section dedicated to the help (currently 280 pixels on each side), and enlarge the section used for 3D.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:21:59 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #518 on: January 15, 2019, 11:52:06 pm »
Here is the full_patch, with all the files that have changed since 01-12-2019, in order to support the new graphic help.
In case there was one missing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:55:00 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: January 16, 2019, 10:44:52 am »
Hi Patrice,

I confirm that commenting out WM_SETFOCUS from GDImageHelpCallBack() makes both W10 and W7 work identically as expected even with also remming out the test block code in WM_MOUSEWHEEL.

Let's consider this glitch fixed. Thanks for co-operation! :)

(I think we can make the 280 pxs wide margins at least twice narrower)

[UPD] Remming out nRet = 1; also works OK under W7. So, which variant do we choose: remming out the whole WM_SETFOCUS or nRet = 1 only?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:03:21 am by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #520 on: January 16, 2019, 12:08:11 pm »
Perhaps we could limit the help scrolling zone to the width of the left index that is 288 pixels large ?
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #521 on: January 16, 2019, 01:23:09 pm »
No, I think if the zone exists at all, it should also be detectable in close proximity to the scrollbar. That's how Windows standard controls behave and what the user is accustomed to.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #522 on: January 16, 2019, 02:51:46 pm »
Tell me if you prefer the attached help_index.png
using this setting
                PathCombine(gP.mt.FullName, HelpFolder(), L"help_index.png");
                HBITMAP hBitmap = ZI_CreateBitmapFromFile(gP.mt.FullName, w, h);
                if (hBitmap) {
                    nID = IDT_HELPLOGO;
                    x = (288 - w) / 2;
                    y = ClientH - 8 - h;
                    ZD_DrawBitmapToCtrl(hTopic, x, y, hBitmap, ZD_ColorARGB(128, 0), nID, ZS_VISIBLE);
                    ZD_SetObjectAnchorMode(nID, ANCHOR_BOTTOM);
                    ZD_SetObjectHidden(nID, ZS_INACTIVE);
                }
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: January 16, 2019, 04:41:51 pm »
Both are very good Patrice,

Especially knowing your passion towards feminine gender. ;)

Have you tried sitting the android on top of the chevrons?
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: January 17, 2019, 12:13:18 pm »
When you have all the RTFs ready, just send them to me before creating the PNGs. I'll fix the language issues and probably add a few points for clarification.
Mike