Author Topic: Minor Quirks  (Read 5911 times)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Minor Quirks
« on: October 16, 2018, 11:38:02 pm »
Patrice,

There are three quirks in the current ObjReader that keep annoying me:
  • When a model is first loaded into a newly-launched instance of ObjReader, its geo and mat lists remain empty until the model is fully loaded. But when another model is loaded later, the wallpaper changes instantly while the lists still stay full of outdated data until the loading cycle completes. Can you fix it so that the both lists get cleared when the wallpaper changes?
  • When the Mipmap textures menu is clicked, there's some apparent activity going on while the spinner spins. But it doesn't result in the current textures being changed for unmipmapped ones, and vice versa. The new setting affects only the new model loaded into the viewer later. Can you ensure the menu first reloads the model's current textures?
  • IMHO it will be more logical to have the geo list entries in the following order: vertices, triangles, indices, meshes, materials. Do you agree?
TIA
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Re: Minor Quirks
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:28:15 am »
Mike

While we are at it, VS2017 recommends to turn #define macro into constexpr, your thought?

2.When the Mipmap textures menu is clicked, there's some apparent activity going on while the spinner spins. But it doesn't result in the current textures being changed for unmipmapped ones, and vice versa. The new setting affects only the new model loaded into the viewer later. Can you ensure the menu first reloads the model's current textures?
Yes, we first delete the existing texture set, then we reload it, in the gl_LoadTexture.
I don't see any error there  :-[

I have attached the patch with my changes.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:51:21 am by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:02:41 pm »
Patrice,

VS2017 recommends to turn #define macro into constexpr, your thought?

My dev platform is a commercial VS 2013 Ultimate, and I'm sorry to say but it doesn't support constexpr which appeared in VS 2015. I wouldn't want to change it for a later platform yet, mainly because of the necessity to renovate the free licenses of newer Community versions every 30 days or so.

... then we reload it, in the gl_LoadTexture.
I don't see any error there  :-[

We shouldn't just reload them as they were. If they were mipmapped, we should reload them un-mipmapped and vice versa. Alas, this isn't so. As far as my eyes can see, they are reloaded unaltered exactly as they were -- mipmapped or not. OTOH ObjReader preserves its Mipmap textures setting between model reloads, so that the next model loaded in the same session will have its textures (un-)mipmapped according to the new setting. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I am not. ???

Thanks for the patch; my comment will follow after the merger.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:35:50 pm »
OK,

Here are my observations:
  • The order of data in the model info is now correct. However the old vertices, triangles, indices, meshes, and materials numbers still aren't cleared when a new model is being loaded into ObjReader in the same session.
  • The mesh list is now cleared OK when a new model is being loaded into ObjReader in the same session.
  • When I load a model and then uncheck the Mipmap textures menu, the model's textures are appearently reloaded but still in their mipmapped states. It can clearly be seen while you zoom out of the model and the textures still keep changing their mipmap levels. But if then I load some other model, its textures are loaded without mipmapping as expected. This is a quirk. The old model's textures must get reloaded without mipmaps immediately when I click to uncheck the Mipmap textures menu, and vice versa. Hopefully I succeeded in describing the faulty behavior this time.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:51:58 pm »
because of the necessity to renovate the free licenses of newer Community versions every 30 days or so
That doesn't occure by me, i never had to renovate my free license for the Community version.
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 02:06:02 am »
Patrice,

I fixed the texture un-/re-mipmapping issue, and I made the geo data/mesh/material displays get cleared before loading a new model.

I'll send you the sources for sync'ing a little later when I finish adding a few other minor fixes and additions.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:56:48 am »
Ok, i have been kept very busy on the 3wheeler, i hope to be able to post a first WIP today.
Patrice