Author Topic: There are many ways to go to Rome.  (Read 53393 times)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: There are many ways to go to Rome.
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2019, 06:19:45 pm »
1. Très bon ! The easier the better! :)

2. What do you mean? ambiMapFilename is the name of our AO maps that may cause the need for UV correction in the first place! But I agree, reflection maps are useless here because their UVs are generated automatically in both pipelines and thus can't be edited manually.

3. By all means go ahead and add it! You should use every possibility to add as many tools as you only can to OR to make your model design efforts easier. That's what its editing functions are for. :)

4.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2019, 08:12:14 pm »
Here is the patch with the last changes.
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2019, 08:03:11 pm »
What is your preference, to display behind transparent texture:
a PSD like checkerboard, or the new uvcheck.png
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2019, 10:08:25 pm »
:-*

IMO there should be 3 options: (in the preferred order)
  • PSD-like checkerboard (default)
  • selectable solid colored background (usually I prefer dark green like the color of fabric on a poker/snooker table)
  • our regular UV-checker texture
Also, the red color should be reserved for the UVs ("bullets") and the associated wireframe areas that have been explicitly selected for modification. Deselected items should have a different color to be chosen optionally so as to look prominent against the current texture map background.

(Note we will eventually need much much more free space for the UV editor options and settings than the current "toolbar"...)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2019, 11:14:33 pm »
Re. your latest patch, when a mesh is (re)selected in a multi-mesh model, the user shouldn't have access to the tex maps that don't belong to that mesh's material. The top strip with the maps available for the current mesh should be updated in real time in response to the focus change in the mesh list.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2019, 01:59:06 pm »
About CreateUVmap
Code: [Select]
void CreateUVmap(IN long selected) { // 03-20-2019
    MobjMesh* pMesh = &gtm_meshes[selected];
    long index = pMesh->startIndex; // gnm_indexBuffer[pMesh->startIndex];
    long vertsTotal = pMesh->triangleCount * 3;

long x = 0, y = 0, w = 0, h = 0, nW = 0, nH = 0, nIDtoClone = 0, nSpriteCount = 0, color = 0;

ZI_GetImageSizeFromControl(gT.hZoomCtrl, nW, nH);

HDC hIC = zDisplayDC();
    HBITMAP hBitmap = zCreateDIBSection(hIC, nW, nH, 32);
    HDC hDC = CreateCompatibleDC(hIC);
    SelectObject(hDC, hBitmap);
    DeleteDC(hIC);

//// Create a GDI32 transparent brush, to clear the bitmap background.
                    //HBRUSH hBrush = CreateSolidBrush(NULL);
                    //RECT r; SetRect(&r, 0, 0, nW, nH);
                    //FillRect(hDC, &r, hBrush);
                    //DeleteObject(hBrush);

POINT pt[3] = { 0 };
    LONG_PTR graphics = 0, pen = 0, brush = 0;
    GdipCreateFromHDC(hDC, graphics);
    // Create a pen to draw with
    GdipCreatePen1(ZD_ColorARGB(128, RGB(0,0,0)), 1.0f, UnitPixel, pen); // Do not use RGB(255,0,255), this is reserved for transparent GIF color.

//GdipCreateSolidFill(ZD_ColorARGB(64, RGB(225,225,225)), brush);

//WCHAR zAf[64] = { 0 };
    long count = 0;

for (int j = 0; j < vertsTotal; j++, index++) {
        MobjVertexT* vertex = &gtm_vertexBuffer[gnm_indexBuffer[index]];

pt[count].x = x = (long) ((nW - 1) * vertex->texCoord[0]);
        pt[count].y = y = (long) ((nH - 1) * (1.0f - vertex->texCoord[1]));

count++;
        if (count == 3) {

//GdipCreateSolidFill(ZD_ColorARGB(32, color), brush); color++; // Use a unique color for each triangle
            //GdipFillPolygon2I(graphics, brush, pt[0], count);
            //GdipDeleteBrush(brush);

GdipDrawPolygonI(graphics, pen, pt[0], count);
            count = 0;
        }

//StringCchPrintf(zAf, strSize(zAf), L"%d: %f, %f   x = %2d, y = %2d", j+1, vertex->texCoord[0], vertex->texCoord[1], x, y);
        //zTrace(zAf);

}

//GdipDeleteBrush(brush);

GdipDeletePen(pen);
    GdipDeleteGraphics(graphics);
    DeleteDC(hDC);
    gT.MapID = IncrID();
    ZD_DrawBitmapToCtrl(gT.hZoomCtrl, 0, 0, hBitmap, ZD_ColorARGB(255, 0), gT.MapID, ZS_VISIBLE);
    ZD_SetObjectScroll(gT.MapID, TRUE);
    SpriteArrayInit(gT.MapID, gT.MapFileName);
    ZI_UpdateWindow(gT.hZoomCtrl, FALSE);
}

pMesh->triangleCount, reports the whole number of triangles in the mesh, but the UV's triangle count could be much smaller than that.

In the attached example, there are 440 triangles in the mesh, but only two in the corresponding UV flat projection.

What do you think is the best solution to draw only once the two triangles matching the UV's flat projection?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:03:56 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2019, 04:23:58 pm »
pMesh->triangleCount, reports the whole number of triangles in the mesh, but the UV's triangle count could be much smaller than that.
No, it couldn't. There should be exactly as many UV tris as there are 3D mesh tris.

In the attached example, there are 440 triangles in the mesh, but only two in the corresponding UV flat projection.
No, the UV projection contains 440 flat tris, and this is correct. It is just that the 3D mesh tris reuse the same portions of (actually, the entire) texture map rather than form up so called "UV islands" on a much larger map such as seen e.g. in the dragon's UV wireframe. Generally, reusing/sharing/overlaying portions of mesh texture maps is considered bad practice in modern 3D design because it prohibits generation of correctly matching light, shadow (AO), and height maps that by the very definition of visual phenomena they are intended to emulate simply cannot be shared among individual polies or meshes.

That said,
What do you think is the best solution to draw only once the two triangles matching the UV's flat projection?
there is no solution because in fact, the flat projection contains not 2 but 440 tris.

In order to be able to select and adjust the UVs of every quad in the mesh as may be necessary, the tri corner UVs should be made slightly different in each quad at model design time. Then, the resolution/magnification of UV editor (such as Tor) should be made sufficient to visualize those differences in both wireframe layout and "bullet" positions to be able to select and drag the right "bullets" and adjust the looks of each quad as necessary if needed.

If the UVs of all the quads are exactly the same, then you are in big trouble in case you need to adjust only one, or a few, of the quads. Then whatever resolution Tor or any other UV editor has, you won't be able to point-and-drag the correct bullet(s). :)

Do you understand what I mean?
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2019, 05:11:22 pm »
If you look at the VT section within fur.obj

vt 1 1 0
vt 0 1 0
vt 0 0 0
vt 1 0 0
# 4 texture coordinates

you will see the original coordinates, my thought was to use them to compute the correct UV's map triangles, and in the case of "fur" using only 2 triangles rather than 440...
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2019, 05:51:05 pm »
There should have been 220, rather than 4, UV pairs* with slightly different values. Then the model modder (such as you) would've been able to readjust them in case his mod needs it.

Those are not the "original" coords. Those are the evidence of model author's goofiness (if he doesn't know what I'm telling you) or evil intent (if he knows and has done it on purpose to disallow others to mod this mesh). ;)

The "correct UV map triangles" (as well as normals and positions) are those 440 ones that are drawn in accordance with the mesh's actual 3D geometry coded in the face section of .OBJ file through f directives but not those that are written in the .OBJ file's reusable and "depersonalized" v, vt, and/or vn caches!

How can you foretell you (or yet another modder) won't ever want, or need, to remap one or more UV pairs of this mesh in the future to some other places within some other, perhaps artistically much better, map instead of this simple fur.png? ;)

My friend, you're seeing (seeking) things (to optimize) that aren't there.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:03:51 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2019, 06:59:32 pm »
BTW why does your SW generate an empty 3rd UV coord in each pair? Can you turn that annoying option off?
No, i couldn't.

Having the same triangle that could be drawn several time at the same location is a real problem, i have been fighting with this for 2 days  :-\

I have added the PSD checkerboard.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:03:43 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2019, 10:09:23 pm »
No, i couldn't.
That's a pity!

I was planning to eventually use the 3rd and 4th columns in the UV (i.e. vt) statements as an alternative set of UV coordinates to be able to optionally utilize light maps that usually have a UV layout different from the other maps in a given material.

Having the same triangle that could be drawn several time at the same location is a real problem, i have been fighting with this for 2 days  :-\
My friend, next time before you decide to fight with something in OpenGL, please consult with me first. That's because it's highly likely going to be kind of windmill fighting to the detriment of planned functionality.

Tell you more: not only are we supposed to draw all the 440 triangles in that wireframe, but we are also going to put as many as 880 bullets (4 stacks by 220 bullets each) on top of their corners to be able to adjust the location of every corner in each triangle in case we'd so wish. It is not our concern or fault that all the UVs are originally the same. We should still be able to drag the four topmost bullets aside to get access to the 2nd layer of bullets, and then drag away that layer's bullets aside as well to get access to the 3rd layer of bullets, and then drag it away ... to get access to the 220th bottom-most layer and adjust its bullets' positions according to our design plans. Then we will go back up the stacked layers to restore or readjust their respective triangle corner bullet positions as we want or need. :)

I have added the PSD checkerboard.
Thank you!

If you want, we can generate such a texture purely programmatically similar to the checkerboard for the viewport stage.

P.S. What about my remarks in Reply #109?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:24:07 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2019, 11:23:31 pm »
What about my remarks in Reply #109?
Because that was unclear to me, so far i was only dealing with the content of the contact sheet, and trying to figure the best way to store/retrieve the triangle hot spots. I have also to solve an array bound error, and a few other things before i could move on.
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2019, 06:31:22 am »
... an array bound error ...

Where's that?
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2019, 10:14:39 am »
This is an error in my checkerboard code.
I am fixing it.
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2019, 08:10:11 pm »
This is a backup version, with the new checker.png (see TilePaint), to display the checkerboard behind transparent png.

Patrice