Author Topic: ObjReader FBO & PP  (Read 28899 times)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: ObjReader FBO & PP
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 10:44:32 pm »
My friend,

If you feel uneasy or confused about working on Tor-based UV editing, then let's put that idea aside for later. Probably the proper time for the UV editor hasn't come yet. The space to the right of splitter may in the meantime be used for other useful purposes. Or the splitter may simply be locked to the right side panel for the time being keeping other associated code untouched for later use when needed.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2019, 03:33:10 pm »
Patrice,

I'm currently preparing my sources for merger based on MSAA FBO post-processing and initial animated background support.

My proposition is to exclude Tor code from the project. Frankly, I don't believe it's going to meet the expectations. Granted, it's very spectacular like everything you do. But it was originally designed for another project, and modding it to ObjReader's needs takes far too much effort that can better be spent more efficiently.

Some day I'll design a lightweight UV editor based on my FBSL code. But not now because we still have more immediate needs that can be implemented in the MAT files without touching the OBJ structure proper.

I'm hoping you'll agree to my proposition. Will you?
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2019, 07:06:12 pm »
For now, i am using it just to create and save the UV's map into a transparent png.
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2019, 07:55:51 pm »
Whatever!

But do you agree in principle to suspend Tor/UV editor development at this stage? Won't it hurt you too much?
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2019, 08:48:32 pm »
But do you agree in principle to suspend Tor/UV editor development at this stage? Won't it hurt you too much?
No problem, Tor is very easy to disable, and i have already all what i need in C4D that is the tool i use to create/edit all my models, including UV's map. ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:50:04 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2019, 09:18:57 am »
I'm definitely getting old and nearing marasmus.

I've just discovered that if I press Alt when in the mesh info tip mode, all the meshes that are not under the cursor get hidden and I can inspect the selected mesh unobscured by the others for as long as I keep on holding the Alt button down. :o

On scrutinizing the sources, I was surprised to find out it was me who had implemented that brilliant feature. 8)

Amazing! ;D
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2019, 09:51:40 am »
Yep, very handy!
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2019, 09:57:17 pm »
Yet it isn't reflected in the help. It was probably added after ObjReader v2.75 had been released but I'm not sure...
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2019, 08:41:26 pm »
OK Patrice,

I think have straightened out my MSAA FBO WIP sources for the merger.

Do you think I absolutely must add animated backgrounds before we merge the sources or they can wait for some more experimentation? There are bound to be some more issues to work upon like e.g. the need to create background snapshots (most likely, minified) to be used as reflection maps where necessary. I don't think we should create them each frame to look animated too because it can overload our pipelines...

If animated backgrounds can wait then I'm more or less ready to send you the sources. Just let me know.
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2019, 09:11:53 am »
Patrice, please wake up and respond to my previous message. ;)
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2019, 09:23:07 am »
If animated backgrounds can wait then I'm more or less ready to send you the sources. Just let me know.
Yes, animated backgrounds can wait…  8)
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2019, 02:27:32 pm »
Okay here we go:

-2. All significant mods bear a MLL 03-30-2019: tag.

-1. Currently, culling (see item 3 below) does not work for glassy meshes until we have a dedicated glass shader and proper dynamic back-to-front alpha sorting for all transparent meshes depending on current model orientation.

0. The sources have no trace of Tor.

1. OR uses a 32x MSAA FBO but no MSAA in its gP.hGL. Therefore if you switch off Inspect->Use framebuffers, the display becomes jagged, and A2C transparencies, dithered. The switch-off should be accompanied with a matching reload of AA pixelformat but I haven't yet implemented it.

2. There are glitches with tool window popping on pressing Ctrl when a fancy mode is being rendered and a PP shader used. Ctrl doesn't know what shader to pop up the tool window for.

3. OR now implements per-material culling and two-sided lighting. Use #cull and #bothsides metas directly in the newmtl definitions to cull and two-side-light selected materials. The same metas may be used globally to apply culling and two-sided lighting to the entire model. Note that as per the OpenGL specs, two-sided lighting has no effect on textured meshes in the Fixed Function Pipeline mode.

4. The mods are abundant so please use these sources as the basis for merging. Add your mods (if any) to them but not vice versa.

5. Wherever found, please do not revert my curly-braceless notation back to your funny style. I'm using these pieces of code very often, and too many curly braces make C code readability very poor.

6. Alt+Enter now toggles full screen like in my FBSL shader demos. 8)

Please inform me a.s.a.p. if the mods are working for you as expected. I tested them under my W10 and they worked fine for me.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:24:50 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2019, 07:48:23 pm »
Everything works as you said, and also the things that do not work yet ;)

Thank you very much for this new version my friend !

Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2019, 08:31:39 pm »
I am glad my mods are working for you too. All in all, this is the long awaited skeleton for ObjReader v3.0. :)
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2019, 02:21:26 pm »
Hey Patrice,

Here are some shader patches to avoid app crashes on ATi Radeon GPUs.

Their shitty OpenGL implementation doesn't notify what exactly causes their GLSL compiler to fail. It just silently crashes the entire program. Kept me busy hunting GLSL inconsistencies since early morning... ::)
Mike