Author Topic: SCV  (Read 2844 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
SCV
« on: May 06, 2019, 11:50:17 am »
This new model has been added to the collection.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:44:03 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: SCV
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 03:03:53 pm »
Thanks for sharing! :)

But I think something must be terribly wrong with the texturing of mech's arms, blades, and tubing.

[UPD] Oh, I see... The original model lacks any .MAT file altogether. (very annoying but only too common about free downloads from the SketchFab site... ???)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:19:12 pm »
Just in case you didn't know, Windows 10 offers a 3D Builder app that you can download and install for free from Microsoft Store.

Among other things, 3D Builder can import and automatically repair (!) glTF files, and export them to a few common 3D formats including OBJ. SketchFab's glTFs often come broken, i.e. not fully compliant with the MS glTF format specs. You can also repair them manually (if you know how to), and view them, in the MS Visual Studio Code editor equipped with the corresponding plugin, but you can't export them from VS Code to other 3D formats.

Below please find an SCV model converted directly in my 3D Builder from a repaired scene.glTF file downloadable from SketchFab. It is not 100% perfect and it still needs Y,Z swapping. But it is a much better starting point for modding than your own MAT file that was apparently developed from scratch. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:07:46 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:49:02 pm »
My mistake, i inverted the arms in my latest material edition, this has been fixed and i have updated the model.

3D Builder, thanks for the tip i forgot about that one, i shall give a try to the one you converted from .gltf file, thanks!
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 05:31:09 pm »
Excellent work, thank you! :)

To my unenlightened eye, OR's render is even better than SketchFab's un-PP'ed render. And it's using standard materials while SF uses PBR! 8) (see below)

But to be 100% competitive, we must be able to first provide dynamic soft shadows, bloom, and depth of focus post-processing. And that's only possible with FBOs. That's why OR's FBO pipeline is of prime importance for me now.

Once FBO is fully functional, we will be able to proceed with PBR materials. (I have one classic PBR shader that I think can be tailored for use in OR)
Mike