Author Topic: Elysium Raven  (Read 4252 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Elysium Raven
« on: June 20, 2019, 06:21:10 pm »
Here is what i came with...

The whole texture set has been created from scratch, and a few meshes have been added to match the attached reference.jpg.
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: Elysium Raven
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:42:00 pm »
My friend,

I'm back home and available for correspondence. :)

You did a nice job overall. The hull damage is very prominent due to good normal mapping and I think you can even add yet more drama to its looks by weathering it out at random places and scratching and rusting it more...

But it has one strategic drawback in its concept: each armor plate on the hull looks as if it were painted at its own production area at the factory separately from the other hull plates, parts and accessories. The mosaic's individual bits and pieces don't fall in place as a finished camouflage pattern when assembled into a common hull.

This isn't how it's done in real life. I was born into the family of a high ranking army officer, and I saw it many times with my own eyes at the military bases I used to travel with my parents in my childhood and green years before I went to college.

Military armor doesn't get final factory painting at all. When it comes to the deployment sites, it is only pre-painted with common greenish dark gray primer. And only once stationed, it gets finally camouflaged in actual colors and patterns of terrain and scenery it is deployed on: black and white zebra of snowy tundra, bright khaki of rain forest, or pale beige of sandy desert. But in all cases, the camouflage pattern will be continuous and consistent across the entire hull.

Look again at your reference picture (or even the original .blend model) to see what I mean. Your diffuse maps don't look like veritable military camouflage. You will have to redesign the diffuse map topology and/or even remap the UVs of certain model meshes to correct it.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 03:22:16 pm »
Here is the model, see if you can do any better with the current UV mapping (requested by C4D's AO computation).

Things would have been much easier if a single mesh was used for the whole body, rather than 8 distinct parts.
So far it is very hard in PhotoShop to figure wich parts will be put aside each other  ::)

By the way, welcome back!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:48:03 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 07:16:24 pm »
Thanks for the model Patrice! (sometimes the download starts very slow and I have to restart it another time to get usual normal speed)

... see if you can do any better with the current UV mapping (requested by C4D's AO computation).

Why, I won't even try! It is ridiculous to be bound by a set of subsidiary UVs when creating the main diffuse texture!

Tell you what, just gimme the missing diffuse texture design based on the UVs that are still stored in the original .blend model for its middle mesh, and I will generate for you:
  • the other matching PBR quality maps for that mesh; and
  • a complete set of finely traced normalized (= bright) AO maps for the entire model using nothing else but Blender. (I can even bake them directly in the respective diffuse textures to save us a ton of video memory we otherwise spend on separate 2Kx2K AO maps)
;)

(Hint: you can use a "3D surface paint" tool to create the missing diff map, of course if only your C4D supports it)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:18:21 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 07:25:39 pm »
Yes, those two textures seem a little better but wings coloration is still entirely chaotic from both top and bottom. :(
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 07:33:34 pm »
What about this?
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 08:28:09 pm »
Patrice,

I'd say it's "passable" though of course not perfect. If you dare make the camouflage spot borders more prominent (less blurry or gradient-ated), you'll see immediately how many discontinuities there still are...

But overall, if you manage to make your top and bottom wing textures at least as good as those last ones, your set of textures will have a chance to live. If not, then, alas, no chance. The model's looks will not be professional enough for a military-grade model, my friend. :-\
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 02:04:52 pm »
You almost did it, Patrice!

Just try and add a pinch of green to the other wing and enjoy a well-deserved rest! :D
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 05:09:15 pm »
I like the one with symmetric wings the most. But of course you can release any one you like -- I've got them all.

And I appreciate your persistence. :)
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 06:38:49 pm »
The final version (symmetric reworked) has been released ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:42:29 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 08:41:24 pm »
Probably the Lords of War of the future can have their own notion of what perfect military camouflage should look like in their space and time, after all... :)
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 04:53:32 pm »
For those who prefer a more military camouflage...
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 05:29:23 pm »
Thank you Patrice,

The model looks nice indeed! :)
Mike