Author Topic: RAMJET  (Read 9211 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
RAMJET
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:15:34 pm »
Preview of the reworked PPL version with sun reflection, pilot, and plasma vent.

I would like to create a blur effect to simulate the heat of the propulsor.
I know how to do it in full animation, but it is not obvious when the scene is static.

Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: RAMJET
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:25:02 am »
Looks good even as it is. :)

Unless criss-crossed billboards as in my .MS3D models are used to render the flames, the existing FFP and PPL aren't suitable for rendering jet glow and/or heat emission.

The viewer should use a framebuffer (in fact, a video memory texture) and vertex buffer objects (video memory arrays) instead of the existing RAM arrays of FFP and PPL to be able to render the model geometry, first, into the framebuffer, then second, post-process it to optionally add various effects like glow, bloom, bokeh, god rays (light shafts), vignetting, etc, and finally, render the framebuffer onto the screen quad similar to how we're rendering our wallpapers now.

That's actually the direction I was heading for in my Objector render procs little by little all this time, and I'm planning to complete my dev work as soon as I'm feeling well again, which I actually am not as of yet.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:55:35 pm »
Mike

So far that is the best i could do.

When you will be back to full efficiency it would be nice if we could implement also shadow support.  8)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:58:45 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:21:43 pm »
Here is the {final} version, using different view angles.

No red color for combustion, because there is no oxygen on mars  :)

Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 04:46:44 pm »
So far that is the best i could do.

That's probably because the jet mesh is still too simple and the textures are too sparse.

If you like, you can try the "jellyfish" mesh I threw in from scratch and develop some really good textures for it that would look like the Reference.jpg images below.

The mesh is in the zip with a few low-quality test textures. Please note that ObjReader and Objector seem to render transparences differently (ObjReader's transparencies are visibly thinner, hence darker). The mesh can be rendered more or less correctly in the alpha-to-coverage mode only because the alphas aren't sorted dynamically.

Note also that the cones are texture mapped conically rather than cylindrically. That means their (optionally transparent) apexes should be at the round texture center, i.e. the texture should get progressively more transparent inwards to its center and not outwards to some of its edges unlike your cone (in fact, cylinder) texture.

Disks are likewise plane mapped to circular textures.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:10:27 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:59:56 pm »
"reference.jpg" is what i can do in full animation, but the same in static mode inside ObjReader doesn't look good, especially when seen from the side.

I think i should try with plasma sphere(s), or with flat circle(s) + billboarding, then it will be good because always facing the camera.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:17:05 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

John Spikowski

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 09:11:15 am »
Quote from: Patrice
No red color for combustion, because there is no oxygen on Mars.

The oxygen content of the Martian atmosphere is only 0.13 percent, compared with 21 percent in Earth's atmosphere. Carbon dioxide makes up 95.3 percent of the gas in the atmosphere of Mars. It also contains nitrogen and argon and very small amounts of water and methane.

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 01:19:50 pm »
There can also be rocket style forced pumping of liquid/liquefied oxidizer that doesn't necessarily have to be oxygen, in which case combustion will not be dependent on the O2 content in the atmosphere and will even allow the craft to be propelled in the outer space. :)

For example, ozone and fluoride are actually even stronger oxidizers than pure oxygen.
Mike