Author Topic: ObjReader FBO & PP  (Read 28810 times)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
Re: ObReader FBO & PP
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 01:53:14 pm »
Thanks for sharing.

That could be handy to create cartoon like effects, even if my own preference goes for everything that could be closer to photographic's.
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 02:52:12 pm »
Cartoon?! Not one of those screenshots looks anywhere near toonish!

Calling bloom toonish sounds humiliating... :(

(FYI: Do you know how large annual revenue is in the video game industry worldwide? 138 billion US dollars! Video gaming has always been, and still is, the major driving force behind the world's steady progress in computer development and production.)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 04:37:00 pm »
Calling bloom toonish sounds humiliating...

Nothing humiliating there, see the attachments it makes me think about.

Search google for OLYMPUS MONS, BD, anomalie
and CALL of DUTY
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:55:43 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 07:25:02 pm »
My friend,

Re. Falcon above, add here a little fog, depth of field and bokeh, and you'll get the CoD look and feel as seen in your bottom screenie.

The Simpsons, Sponge Bob and Super Mario are toonish but CoD bloom is virtual reality.

Imagine what a sunny day would look like somewhere in the bright hot African savanna or stone-cold snowy Canadian or Russian tundra, or at least how les Champs-Élysées would look deep in the rainy night. Then you'll get the idea of how photorealistic bloom is. ;)
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 02:35:13 am »
Hey,

Does this bloom look better (more veritable) to you? It doesn't have that "lollypop" color tint any more that you seem to dislike so much...

It has no dedicated shader controls window yet and currently depends only on the current scene brightness setting. (in the snapshots below, 30, 50, and 75 per cent, respectively)

The difference between bloom and glow is that bloom is an incident light effect that emphasizes (over-brightens) the diffuse and specular highlights on the model surface and is thus restricted to that surface. Conversely, glow is a volumetric emissive light effect whereby it is projected out of the model, such as e.g. a glowing neon sign or a rocket jet flame, and into the surrounding air space.
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 09:22:31 am »
Does this bloom look better (more veritable) to you?
For me it is hard to say from static images.

So far it looks very close to what i could get already when playing with the "straylight" brightness slider and multilight settings.
(see the attached screen shot, that is preserving more the face details)

However you are doing direct experimentation, thus you have a better clue than myself.

Perhaps could be very handy to use with some specific meshes (for example to enhance glowing light) rather than the whole model?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:57:46 am by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 10:48:12 am »
Perhaps could be very handy to use with some specific meshes (for example to enhance glowing light) rather than the whole model?

Unfortunately, no, not in its current state. This is a "fake" bloom applied to the entire gP.hGL viewport including the background in the second render pass (stage 4 below) when the textured screen quad is rendered from video memory into the viewport with a distinct dedicated shader. In other words, the effect takes place in the entire 2D screen space after the scene has already been rendered. The vignette effect also has a similar dedicated shader of its own. The bloom shader makes all of the quad areas lit brighter than a given threshold appear yet brighter and super-sampled around the current fragment/texel (= screen pixel because the screen quad matches precisely the viewport's current size) to "leak" the bloom areas into their surroundings.

The current FBO rendering scenario consists of the following stages:

1. Render scene into MSAA FBO -> 2. Blit MSAA FBO into non-AA FBO's texture -> 3. Bind texture to quad -> 4. Render quad on screen

A genuine bloom effect would require that stage 4 be split into additional sub-stages with yet more render targets/textures added for scene image minification, blurring, magnification, and additive blending with the original screen quad texture. This would complicate greatly the current OR dev stage. That's why I'm trying to avoid shader management over-complication till better times and tend to make a shift with as simple shaders as possible.

[P.S.] And no, you can't emulate bloom entirely with the straylight fader and/or light/material controls alone because bloom has a certain threshold below which it doesn't occur no matter what the current lighting environment is. That is, bloom is selective. Conversely, the brightness and lighting controls have a linear effect, i.e. they brighten and dim all the areas in all the materials simultaneously and proportionately regardless of whether they are bright or dark. And bloom intensity above the threshold level is exponential rather than linear.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:12:10 am by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 12:00:35 pm »
OK, thank you for the detailed explainations!
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 09:12:07 pm »
Well, if now you say again this lightweight and simple depth-of-focus + bokeh PP shader is of little or no aesthetic value either, I'm gonna get real irritated... ;)

OK it is not linear but circular; there's only a relatively small circular area at the screen center that's fully in focus. And the bokeh spots aren't filled in but rather look like circles. But it's also only a simple 2D screen space emulation of full blown and rather complicated 3D scene depth-based DOF and bokeh post-processor.

It's also sort of another placeholder till better times when I've got nothing else to do but fiddle with the OR shaders. ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:14:19 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 11:03:17 pm »
I like this very very much!!!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:52:39 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 06:29:51 pm »
Dvergr on its quest for the unknown...

(Configurable radial blur post-processing)

8)
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 06:56:06 pm »
That is another great one effect!
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 07:09:11 pm »
Tell you a secret, we're very very close to having true dynamic soft shadows in OR... :)
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 07:51:37 pm »
My friend,

As I can vaguely recollect, some time ago when we used to discuss PBR materials, you said something about developing a model that's actually a flat array of balls like they usually use to display a set of material samples and/or their transformations. Did you actually implement such a model? I'd like to have one to experiment with real-time adjustments of fake Depth-of-Field PP shader like in the snapshot below:
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 09:53:49 pm »
Radial blur with fake chromatic aberration

I like Nefertiti and Time Machine (in action...). :)
Mike