Author Topic: Early WIP on v2.55  (Read 132794 times)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
Re: Early WIP on v2.55
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2018, 04:32:40 pm »
Not under Win 7. It shows up exactly where your own custom tool tip pops up.

I'll check it under my Win 8.1 and 10 later during the day.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2018, 08:28:00 pm »
Patrice,

On my Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 machines, the placement of my info tip matches your custom tool tip's initial fade in position exactly, both horizontally (along the left black border of arrow pointer) and vertically (the arrow pointer tail's black bottom line resides on the tip's upper white border).

I don't know what may be wrong with it in your system. :-\
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 Quad w/ 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1060Ti w/ 6GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2018, 08:45:13 pm »
That is really not something important, don't waste your time on this.
I keep working on the Prometheus pod, but there are plainty of small normal errors that i still have to fix.
They were hidden on the previous version because map_bump was not used.

I have found also many small errors in the native .lwo files, that could be detected only when scaling up (x 100) the project into C4D.  ::)

Added:
Sometimes when using the new "mesh info tips" in maximized mode, the menu get frozen, and/or the mesh moving becomes erratic.
The only way to regain control is to restore the window size (looks like there is a kind of topmost conflict with the menu).
To say the truth this occured while i was also playing a Netflix movie on the main display, and OR on the secondary, and the mouse became unresponsive for a few seconds while i was working with the huge Prometheous_pod project.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:12:59 pm by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice
(Always working with the latest Windows version available...)

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: November 27, 2018, 12:15:21 am »
You did something I usually don't do.

You had three OpenGL programs running in stressful multi-threaded modes at the same time, not counting DWM compositing that runs in DirectX. I'm sure you were also having your browser open which is a hardware-accelerated multi-threaded OpenGL or DirectX application as well.

Do you think it's something that your video card can, and is supposed to, handle so easily? I think you've been lucky not to freeze your system completely and damage your hard disk(s) in the process.

The info tip has nothing to do with it. In fact it was the easiest task OpenGL was running at that moment. ;)
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2018, 08:18:29 am »
The info tip ALT mode patch is ready.

Usage:
  • Load a multi-mesh model.
  • Switch the mesh info tip mode on.
  • Press and hold down the ALT button when the cursor points to some mesh rather than the background.
  • All the meshes other than the one under the cursor become invisible. The checklist and show/hide all buttons become disabled automatically to disallow messing with mesh visibility so long as the ALT key remains pressed.
  • Pan and rotate the mesh freely while ALT remains pressed.
  • Release ALT to bring the other meshes on screen. The checklist and show/hide all buttons become enabled automatically.

Enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:44:57 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2018, 10:04:58 am »
Thank you my friend!

That would help me to better check my current work on the Prometheus_pod.

Added:
That works fine, however it would be easier if that could setup the checklist accordingly, then we could just use the "show all" button to restore all meshes visibility, because it is a pain to hold down the ALT key while working in another application at the same time (C4D in my case, is also using the ALT key). Indeed the ALT tip combination should ease the use of the checklist, like when cliking on "Hide all" and selecting just a specific mesh.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:42:58 am by Patrice Terrier »
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: November 27, 2018, 12:51:48 pm »
I have a counter-suggestion: 8)
  • Keep the info tip ALT mode control exactly as it is now; but
  • Add the checklist permanent selection functionality as you describe it to a middle button click while in the ALT mode. The click will then select the visible mesh permanently into the checklist and will concurrently cancel the info tip mode altogether because there's no point in running this mode any longer when there's only one mesh visible in the viewport.
What would you say to this idea?
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #247 on: November 27, 2018, 01:11:00 pm »
Any solution would be fine to me.

As long as it makes the selection/inspection of a specific mesh easier than checking/unchecking from the listview (especially when long names are used).
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: November 27, 2018, 01:11:44 pm »
Great!

Will do now.

Stay tuned! :)
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: November 27, 2018, 03:41:57 pm »
OK Patrice,

It wasn't easy to get rid of all sorts of transient states but I think I succeeded, more or less.

I found it more convenient to follow this behavior:
  • While in the info tip mode, ALT behaves like it did.
  • When ALT isn't pressed, point the cursor to a mesh and wait till its info tip appears! (it updates ID detection)
  • Double click the middle button to permanently select the mesh into the checklist like you suggested.
  • The above should work in the ALT mode too. (thus ALT is temporary while middle button double click is permanent)
  • Nothing should happen if Background is detected. (but I'm not sure yet it will always work as expected)
At any rate it's perfectly usable now, and if we see some annoying oddities in the future, we'll try to correct them there and then.

The main thing is to always wait till the appropriate mesh info tip pops up. I made the timer a little faster to shorten the waiting time.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:43:35 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #250 on: November 27, 2018, 05:04:54 pm »
That does the job, thank you!
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2018, 05:37:53 pm »
FYI: I'm currently working on emissive and gloss (a.k.a. roughness, a.k.a. map_Ns) texture maps.

(Found a nasty bug, in fact a typo, in height (a.k.a. disp) map rendering. :(

It f*cking broke all my efforts to render parallax and steep parallax correctly all this time. >:(

My bad! :'(  :-[)
Mike

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2018, 07:34:22 pm »
Emission and gloss (roughness) maps are ready. 8)

Note the normals are looking a little weird in the renders below because the model uses a DirectX object space normal map rather than a tangent space normal map that ObjReader needs. (been too lazy to switch over to another model ;))
Mike

Patrice Terrier

• Administrator
    • zapsolution
« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2018, 07:50:20 pm »
Great!
Patrice

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2018, 05:35:21 pm »
OK, here comes the latest patch.

Again, the model lighting is crooked because the normal maps are for DirectX, not OpenGL. But the main idea should be clear:

No missing Ns'es, no neutral bumps, no FFP, no more fooling around with "I'm an artist, that's how I see it". We've got over half a dozen texture channels, and all of them must be filled with premium quality maps and lit with rich specular lighting. The only worthwhile objective is: minimum polygons, maximum detail.

Note this texture and shader setup still isn't physically based. That's why we're free to use any textures in any slots as is best to produce maximum visible surface detail with minimum possible polygon count.

P.S. Please use the new milder and crisper UV checker map included in the zip, instead of the older one that I copy-pasted directly off the SketchFab screen. It was too acid color-wise and also re-scaled from some arbitrary size.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:13:02 pm by Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky »
Mike